The decline of Asian marriage
"Asia's lonely hearts"
Women are rejecting marriage in Asia. The social implications are serious
Asian demography
"The flight from marriage"
Asians are marrying later, and less, than in the past. This has profound implications for women, traditional family life and Asian politics
Aug 20th 2011 | SEOUL AND TAIPEI | from the print edition of The Economist
pdf of text/transcript 2.6 MB
audio files (mp3) of both articles 9.8 MB
Comment if you want to. Don't worry about this material if the topic does not interest you!


It's not the first time I read or heard about this topic. Last week my cousin discussed about women who reject marriage in South Korea, and it wasn't that surprising because I've already heard that the same thing also happens in Japan. When I was in the first year of senior high school, my friends and I often talked about marriage stuffs, our dream partner, etc. But now, we've changed our minds. We don't want to get married too early, we're just going to study hard, get a job, and earn a lot of money. We want to buy those branded handbags, shoes, clothes, and many things. But it doesn't mean that we don't want to have a marriage. We just want it later. I think it's likely that in South Korea, Japan, or Taipei, those women are too excited or too much focusing on working and earning money so they think that they'll do it later, later, and later till they're getting old and they finally decide not to get married. That's why nowadays women are rejecting marriage.
ReplyDelete